Earlier this week, DC Comics announced a brand new line for their graphic novel slates, DC Compact Comics – a brand new format which brings bestselling titles into their new reader friendly format.
Each title will be 5.5″ x 8.5″ in size and will be compact trade paperback versions of their bestselling titles. The first release of the DC Compact Comics line will go on sale at the beginning of June 2024 and will retail at $9.99. The first batch of titles available will be;
- All-Star Superman by Grant Morrision & Frank Quitely
- Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
- Batman: The Court of Owls by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
- Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin & Jamal Campbell
- American Vampire Book One by Scott Snyder, Stephen King & Rafael Albuquerque
- Joker by Brian Azzarello & Lee Bermejo
- Catwoman: Trail of the Catwoman by Darwyn Cooke & Ed Brubaker
- Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb & Jim Lee
- Wonder Woman: Earth One by Grant Morrison & Yanick Paquette
- Harley Quin & The Gotham City Sirens by Paul Dini, Peter Calloway, Tony Bedard, Guillem March & Andreas Guinaldo
Here’s a look at the size comparisons and covers of some of the first releases:
“The DC Compact Comics price and sizing is perfect for readers of prose and manga looking to pick up a new-reader-friendly storyline in a self-contained full color graphic novel,” said Anne DePies, SVP & General Manager of DC. “This 5.5″ x 8.5″ paper cut is the most widely circulated softcover book size in the US and is popular among graphic novel aficionados in international markets. At $9.99, it’s a great price point for retailers to stock these classic titles. For readers, DC Compact Comics deliver a new graphic novel reading experience that fits in the palm of their hands, with no loss of readability.”
The first release of the DC Compact Comics line will go on sale at the beginning of June 2024 and I can’t wait for yet another excuse to buy my favourite graphic novels again.